Teams are made up of channels, which are the conversations you have with your teammates. Each channel is dedicated to a specific topic, department, or project.
All members of a team can create standard channels however private channels must be created by Team Owners. This setting can be managed by the Team owner. A standard channel is open for all members and anything posted is searchable by others. If you need a smaller audience for a specific project, you can create a private channel for your team.
Create a Channel
- To create a Channel select the three dots symbolizing More options then choose Add channel.
- You can also click Manage team, and add a channel in the Channels tab.
- From there you will need to name your Channel, list a description(optional), and choose the privacy settings.
- A standard channel will be open for everyone on your Team to view.
- A Private channel will only be accessible to those you add to the channel. Only Owners of the Team can create Private channels.
- When a private channel
- Click Add to create the channel
To Delete/Edit/Hide/Leave a Channel
- To delete a Channel select More options next to the channel name. Then, use the menu to edit, delete, hide, or leave the channel as desired.
Note: Team owners get to decide which team members can delete channels. See below.
Keep in mind that once you delete a channel, you also lose its entire conversation history. However, the OneNote sections associated with that channel will still show up on your team's SharePoint site.
You are limited to 200 channels over the life of a team. That number includes channels you create and later delete.
For information on how to add/remove members of a team or channel see Managing Members of a Team
Team Owners have the ability to limit the creation of channels by team members in settings see Managing Team Settings