Zoom is a web-based video conferencing tool with a local, desktop client and a mobile app that allows users (faculty, staff, & students) to meet online, with or without video. Zoom users can choose to record sessions, collaborate on projects, and share or annotate on one another’s screens, all with one easy-to-use platform. Zoom offers quality video, audio, and a wireless screen-sharing performance across Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. Zoom has been integrated with MyClasses to allow participants to communicate and collaborate synchronously.
The Zoom integration supports the ability for faculty to schedule a meeting, list upcoming meetings, list history meetings and join meetings within their MyClasses account. Currently, only faculty can create meetings through the Zoom integration. Benefits of creating a meeting through the integration include:
- Meetings are included in the course schedule, calendar and To-Do list for students and instructors.
- Students receive notifications when meetings are created, changed or deleted.
- Students receive notifications of upcoming items on their course schedules on the student dashboard and mobile Canvas Student app.
- Faculty can easily share their Zoom recordings to students through MyClasses.
Best Practice: Creating a recurring meeting is a great way to class sessions and have it prominently displayed within your course calendar and notify students.
Faculty are encouraged to read the Technology Support Center's article on Preventing Zoombombing.
Enable Zoom in your MyClasses course
- In your MyClasses course, select Settings from the course menu.
- Select the Navigation tab.
- Locate Zoom and either:
- Drag Zoom to the top section or
- Click the three dots to the right and select Enable.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
- Select Zoom from the course menu to begin creating and managing meetings.
There is no content with the specified labels