This guide covers the network drives that you can access when logged into a Salisbury University computer.

About the network drives

When you log into a University computer, you automatically have access to some or all of the following network drives, depending on where you are and whether you’re a student, faculty or staff.

Name (Letter)



Scanned Image Drive (J)


Departmental Canon all-in-one printers will save their scans to this drive. Faculty and staff only.

Courses (K)


Students and Faculty have access to the K drive to share files and documents. This drive is organized by school, e.g. Perdue, Fulton, etc. Faculty have access to save and edit files on the K drive, while students open or print.

Area/School (N)


Faculty and Staff may have access to the N: drive to share documents and files within their area or school, e.g. Fulton.

Departmental (O)


Faculty and most Staff have access to the O: Drive to share documents and files within their department.

Personal (P)

\\NAS\Personal\username (faculty/staff)

\\NAS\Studentp\username (student)

The P drive is personal network storage space. This is also where you would create a personal web page. Faculty and Staff get 5GB of storage space; students get 1GB of storage space (plus 1TB+ of OneDrive storage space.)

University (U)


This is a folder used by administration to store and share University level documents. For most users, this will appear empty. Faculty and staff only.

Secure (S)\\NAS\Securefile

This drive is only accessible by approved employees for use with files containing personal identifiable information.  

**The S drive is only available on SU owned devices with Global Protect VPN.  It is not available using a personal computer with the SU On Demand VPN from

Other drives may be available depending upon your department’s setup and your permissions, such as access to other departmental drives or specific drives. Some departmental employees may not have access to the default departmental drives by request of the department, and would need to request access if needed.

Do not go by the amount of free space shown in the drive properties for any drive but the P: drive. The properties free space shows the total amount of free space available on the drive itself, not in your allocation of that drive. For example, the O: drive might show 477 GB free of 1.61 TB total, but that does not mean that YOUR O: drive has 477 GB free. Rather, it indicates that the drive that contains all of the university O: drives has that much free. Your O: drive is a percentage of that total, and could possibly be out of space while the drive indicates that space is available.

Mapping Network Drives

Your computer should automatically map your network drives for you upon log on. However, sometimes you may need to manually add the network drives, called “mapping” the drive.

Using a Windows 10 pc

  1. Click Start>File Explorer.
  2. Select This PC in the left hand navigation pane, if it is not already selected.
  3. Right-click This PC and choose Map Network Drive in the menu.
  4. Select the appropriate drive letter from the drop down menu.
  5. Enter the appropriate path from the table above in the Folder field.
  6. Check Reconnect at logon if you want to reconnect the next time you log onto the computer.
  7. Click Finish.

Using a Mac

  1. Open Finder.
  2. Click Go.
  3. Choose Connect to Server.
  4. Enter the appropriate path:
    1. For the K drive, enter smb://nas/courses
    2. For the J drive, enter smb://nas/printer
    3. For the O drive, enter smb://nas/dept
    4. For the P drive:
      1. For students, enter smb://nas/studentp
      2. For faculty and staff, enter smb://nas/personal
    5. For the U drive, enter smb://nas/university
    6. For the S drive, enter  smb://securefile/securenas
  5. Click Connect

Requesting Access to a Network Drive

You will automatically get rights to your department’s drives once your contract is entered into GullNet. Faculty and staff who work in two or more departments will only get access to their primary department’s network drives. To get access to another department(s) O drive, that department supervisor or department chair would need to request access for you. They would do the following:

  • Log into our online ticketing system at
  • Choose Logins, Accounts, and Access and then choose I need access
  • Fill out the ticket, making sure to include the following:
    • The name and username of the person who needs drive access.
    • The name or path of the drive that is being requested (e.g., Chemistry’s O: drive).
    • Click Submit

Managing Files and Drive Space

Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff should use their network drives (P, O, U, etc.) or OneDrive to store Salisbury University files and documents, as these files are backed up and encrypted.

  • Faculty and staff should not save files to their local C drive.
  • Faculty and staff should not save University or work related files to removable disk drives, as those drives are not secure and are not backed up or encrypted.

Requesting More Space

  1. Before requesting more drive space, it's a good practice to delete files that are no longer needed or being used.
  2. Faculty and staff can request more space by submitting a ticket to the IT Help Desk. Please include in the ticket an estimate of the amount of space you'll need and the reason for requesting more space.

Recovering Files

Faculty and staff who have stored their files on a network drive can use Previous Versions to restore files recently changed or deleted. See Restore a file from an SU network drive using Previous Versions for instructions.


  • Students are unable to request more space to the P drive.
  • The storage space available on OneDrive is provided by Microsoft and may change at Microsoft's discretion.
  • Faculty should encourage students to use OneDrive as a way to store and share large documents.

Personal Web Pages

All faculty, staff and students have personal web space available on their P drive. To access this web space, create a file on your P: drive called htdocs. You can use this space to create a very simple website; no server side technology (such as ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, etc.) is available for these sites.

The URL for these pages will be:

For more information, visit the Web Development Office page at

There is no content with the specified labels